May mushrooms are similar to the brick-red crack fungus
Mushroom seekers can already find something in spring. The Maipilz or Mairitterling is a popular edible mushroom among connoisseurs. But caution is required: like many other mushrooms, it has a toxic double. Fungus poisoning can be dangerous.
May not be confused with poisonous doppelgangers
In spring, mushrooms can already be found on meadows, in parks and forests. The mushroom expert Oliver Duty in Rostock drew attention to this in a message from the dpa news agency. The Maipilz or Mairitterling is one of the best known spring mushrooms. However, it is easy to confuse with the toxic brick-red crack fungus, which can also grow in May. The white or more rarely ocher-colored may mushroom is said to be up to 15 centimeters tall, is thick-fleshed, has a smooth hat and narrow slats.
Brick-red crack fungus can be dangerous
Poisoning with the brick-red crack fungus leads to symptoms within a few minutes to two hours that correspond to the so-called Muskarin syndrome. Visual disturbances due to constriction of the pupils, lacrimation and salivation as well as excessive sweating are typical. Symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, gastrointestinal disorders, tremors and headaches are also possible. In the case of severe poisoning, the pulse slows down and blood pressure drops, in some cases shortness of breath occurs due to narrowing of the airways and feelings of fear. Weak poisoning usually resolves within a few hours even without special therapy. Severe poisoning not only lasts longer, but can sometimes take on life-threatening forms.
If collectors are not 100% sure that they have the right mushrooms in their basket, they can consult a mushroom advisor. The German Society for Mycology (DGfM) in Berlin has published a list of experts on its website, most of whom work free of charge or for a small fee. Basically, if there are symptoms such as diarrhea, nausea and vomiting or acute abdominal pain after eating a mushroom meal, this can be caused by fungal poisoning. Then the emergency doctor (112) should be called immediately or the poison emergency call of the federal state concerned should be contacted. Health experts warn against taking medication on your own. Affected people should drink plenty of water and - if available - take the remains of mushrooms for medical treatment. (Ad)